Monday, May 19, 2008

Mind the Gap


I've mentioned once or twice the difficulties facing the taller man in modern society. For every pro, such as being able to see above people at concerts there's several cons (being abused and pushed by people standing behind you at a concert which kinda takes the good out of it all, having to squeeze yourself into tight spots on buses, airplanes and concert venues, banging your head off light fixtures and doorways etc.).

Something else that's always bothered me is just how hard it's always been to find trousers and jeans that are long enough for my legs.. Most stores only stock up to a 34" leg which just about gets to my ankles. Sometimes though you're left with the unfortunate appearance of (to use one of Helen's expressions) looking like I'm waiting for a flood - a situation that occurs when the ends of my trousers don't quite meet the tops of my shoes. Not a good look. In fairness that's not just the plight of the tall man - I see it around a lot with shorter men too. I don't know what their problem is but mine has always come back to the same problem that a) it's hard to find 34" leg jeans and b) even when you do, sometimes they're not really 34" at all. But now it seems my days of worry are over because we (which is to say Helen) recently discovered that The Gap sell 36" jeans (see above). I can't tell how much difference it's made... Well, actually I can - it's made 2 inches difference, but you know what I mean. I was in there last week and bought a bunch of things. All of which make it down to the floor and, as a result, make me feel as though I look a bit more like a normal punter!

So, all credit to Gap for thinking of the tall people. They've made a tall man very happy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey John,

Try being me - a 35 inch waist and a 26 and a half inch leg.

Torture buying stuff - the tailors usually just chope the jeans off at the knees and give them back to me.