Sunday, May 20, 2007

For the record

Spent the last few days listening to old vinyl records at home. Albums really seem to zip by pleasantly when they're broken into 2 sides. To say nothing of the fact that albums were considerably shorther 20 years ago. Which is undoubtedly a good thing. Anyway, I was listening to a best of Roxy Music compilation that my sister bought for me in about 1987. I haven't listened to it since the very early 90s but there it was sitting on the shelf waiting to be played rediscovered. And it was fantastic. Later I listened to Bowie's Station to Station, George Harrison's Cloud Nine & a scratchy copy of The Joshua Tree and had the same expereince with all of them..

It got me thinking. Since I last listened to those records I've had several girlfriends (well not several but at least two), changed jobs a lot, got married, bought a house, separated, bought the same house again, travelled all over the world and lived through countless moments of joy, sadness, upheaval and peace. And for all that time, those songs have been sitting on shelves in attics and spare rooms in apartments and houses waiting to be dusted down and played again. And when they are they sound as good as they ever did. Other than all those old records, I can't think of anything else that I've kept with me, yet ignored, for so long. I think it's almost quite touching really. Can't help wondering if it'll be another 15 years before I listen to them again. I'll be scratching 50 by then. Best not to dwell on that..

No comments: