Monday, February 25, 2008

Slip sliding away.

Oh - with all this redecoration I should point out that I learnt an important lesson on Friday night about wearing socks on varnished wooden stairs. I was rushing down the stairs to go out and as I stepped off the landing (landing? ironic that) I felt my right foot slip. I tried to put my left foot down on the stair but found to my surprise and horror that I was, in fact, very much airborne.. I landed (with no small amount of grace and poise) on my back and just as I thanked my lucky stars (for a second I thought I was in real trouble) for a quick landing, my momentum carried me forward and I slid on down the stairs hitting each one along the way before collapsing in a heap in the hallway.

If anyone else had been there, I daresay I would gave laid there whimpering and sobbing like the brave soldier I am until help arrived. As it was, I was alone so I picked myself up (slowly) put on my shoes (now he puts on his shoes!!) and went down to the Gravediggers for a medicinal pint or two.. It was really only when I woke up on Saturday morning that I realised how bad it was. Leonard Cohen has a great lyric about aching in the places that he used to play. Well, since Saturday morning, I've been aching in the places that I used to just be.. I've got a bruise the size of my back on my back and lots of little bangs and sores. So, you know, if you're reading this kids, don't make the same mistake I made!

Still - you won't hear me complaining.. Everybody else will but you won't!

And at least it wasn't captured on screen like poor old Beyonce..

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Would it not have been more topical to title this post Falling Slowly?

John Connolly said...

Or Hurtling Rapidly?