Sunday, September 14, 2008

No pressure, Theo

I couldn't sleep this morning so I cane downstairs and found myself watching BBC's repeat of last night's Match of the Day. When I was a kid I was a big football fan but I don't ever get to watch much football anymore so it was a bit of a treat to catch some highlights. One of the featured games was Arsenal victory against Blackburn.

In the aftermath of Theo Walcott's 3 goals for England during the week, Hansen and Linekar were assessing the teenager's performance. He didn't score yesterday and he didn't score in his previous game against Newcastle (I just checked - he was on the bench and came on after 72 minutes). Anyway, Hansen was banging on about how spectacular Walcott is and what a great talent and hope for England and blah blah blah...

At one point he said something like 'We talked about him after the Fulham game (I checked - Arsenal lost to Fulham on August 23rd) and questioned whether or not he was good enough for this level but since then he's gone from strength to strength'

Strength to strength? He's played 2 and a bit games since Alan Hansen was saying he wasn't good enough and now he's England's saviour? I assume if he doesn't score for a couple of games he'll be rubbish again. It's tough at the top.

No comments: