Friday, November 16, 2007

Finger Prince


Can you tell who this is? I’ve been a bit late reading about this but it seems Prince is trying to sue several of his fansites for using images of him without his permission. He’s thrown a little purple hissyfit because housequake.com, princefans.com and prince.org, have been using his images to promote some sort of web community to promote, let’s see, oh - Prince. Needless to say, the fansites have responded with incredulity and hopefully much laughter at the madness of it all. Actually they've formed an alliance called PFU (Prince Fans United) and are fighting back. And good for them. In a nerdish kinda way.

One of the articles I read claims he’s planning to ‘reclaim the internet’. Well good luck with that, Prince. Where’s he going to put the internet? He’s going to need a pretty big hard drive to keep that to himself! What next? Is he going to try to reclaim air or water or something?

Prince: 'Bring me all the water’.
Prince’s little helper: 'What? All the water? Where are you going to keep it?'
Prince: 'In the sea, of course. Where nobody can get at it.'
Prince’s little helper: 'Oh..'

Part of his problem is that he never gave permission for his image to be spread all over the web. Well that’s fair enough but I never gave permission for him to show up in my record shops or on my radio and tv. And nobody ever asked me if it was ok for the clown to come and play live in town but that decision was taken out of my hands too. So can’t we all just live and let live..

I don’t know where the image above (which obviously isn’t Prince - otherwise I could be in trouble) came from. I got it on a webiste but God knows (or in Prince’s case, Jehovah) where they got it. Worse than that though - I haven’t asked for anyone’s permission. I haven’t even told my mother. Although I might mention it when I call at the weekend.

This is a picture that Steve in London took when he went to see Prince in August. I got Steve's permission to use this but again, I haven’t talked to Prince. I hope I’m not getting Steve in trouble becuase I don’t think he got permssion to take the photo either. Oh - we’re all going to jail! Or else nothing is going to happen at all. Yes - I’m sure that’ll be it..

Actually in case Prince reads this and gets annoyed, Steve told me he was very good in the 02. Perhaps he should stick to that and stop biting the hand that’s feeding him..

No comments: