Friday, January 4, 2008

All it takes is one bad Apple

Disaster!

I was over in London just before Christmas and Steve gave me an old wireless router that he had going spare. I took it home and spent last Saturday trying to hook it up to the broadband box in my house. After a little headscratching, several swear words directed at my network configuration and many system restarts, I got it all working. In a flurry of excitement and industry I moved all the cables downstairs, hooked up the cordless phone that I got months ago and settled optimistically into a brave new world of wireless internet and cordless telephones..

Having spent the next few days painting my bathroom (red, as you're asking) and finally fixing the stain on the ceiling of my living room (you know - the one that miraculously appeared as Garth Hudson from The Band) I was sitting at home on New Year's Day anticipating a year of frenzied blog activity and wireless online shenanigans when my Macbook Pro died. Dead. Nothing. No power at all. Dead to the world. At first I thought it was just the battery but when I plugged in the battery charger nothing happened.. I've been looking for clues online and while there does seem to be a problem with Macbook Pro batteries (this is where Steve in London smiles to himself and says 'I told you so') but I don't understand why it won't start-up at all when it's connected to the mains..

So for the next while I'm going to be blogging from work and relying on stolen moments on friends' laptops.. The previous post was done on a Dell PC.. Seriously, how do people use those things? I know this subject has been done to death but going from my laptop to a PC is like changing from the car you're used to driving to another one where the pedals are in the glove box, the gears are under your seat and you can only see out the back window. But hey - I'm nothing if not a quick learner so how can it possibly be a problem. I'm not going to let a dead laptop stop me from pressing on with new year's resolution no. 1!

I just hope I haven't lost the novel I was working on at the time. I was about 3 sentences into the first paragraph when it happened. But they were quality sentences.

No comments: