Monday, March 10, 2008

After The Fall


This is my elbow..

You may recall that a fortnight ago I took a short-cut coming down the stairs and landed elegantly in a screaming heap in my doorway. Well apart from a cut arm and a bruised back, I thought I got away lightly. In as much as I ever do anything lightly. Well today when I got to work, I noticed a little bit of stiffness in my left elbow. It felt a little tender and warm, and as the morning progresed it got warmer and tenderer.. By lunchtime I couldn't bend my elbow at all. As the pain got worse and my whimpering got louder, I took the only action that was open to me. I googled it!

It took me a little while to source because I wasn't really sure what I should enter in the search field. Sore elbow? Watery joints? Busty Swedish netball players (always a popular search!)? FInally I entered 'fluid on the elbow' into the search and came up with the answer I was looking for. Actually, the answer I was looking for was 'you're elbow is fine - go back to the netball page' but the answer I got told me that I am, in fact, suffering from something called 'Bursitis'

Now you probably already know what Bursitis is but I had no idea.. Turns out that since I fell, water has been gathering in my elbow and the bursa (one of hundreds of Bursa in our bodies designed to aid movement between joints) has become inflamed.. The normal treatment of one of these things is to drain it with a syringe (nice!) but when I got home this evening, Dr. Maeve had a look and told me that so long as I rest my elbow (how do you rest your elbow? I mean you can't put it up on a footstool, can you?) and take lots of anti-inflammatorys, I should be ok in a few days. I'm not so sure because at the moment I can't bend my elbow at all, but we'll see how it goes..

Seriously though, the body is a mental thing, isn't it? Who knew we had hundreds of Bursa? What else is going on inside me that I don't know about? What are these lung things I keep hearing about?

No comments: