Monday, March 10, 2008

Josh Almighty

About 2 months ago I posted about how much I loved Josh Ritter's song Right Moves. Despite thinking that I should know better, I said that it was just one of those songs that you know you'll grow tired of soon but in the meantime, you can't stop listening to it. Gerry tried to help me along by pointing out that it sounded like the theme song to Only Fools and Horses, and although I can see where he's coming from I have to say that I'm still not sick of it yet..

I've been listeining a lot to the live show on npr that I was talking about at the same time and now, this evening, I found this clip of 'To The Dogs or Whoever' on the Letterman show last month. I think I have a new favourite song!



"She makes the most of her time by loving me plenty
She knows there'll come a time when we won't be getting any"

Quality atuff - I feel bad for missing out on so many of his live shows over the last few years.. Still I'm sure he'll be back.

Letterman's getting on though, isn't he? In the mid 90s, ITV started to broadcast his chatshow every night. I was a huge fan. At the end of every show I'd record the musical performances from whatever band he had on. Somewhere at home there's a VHS tape with a lot of fantastic clips on it. I suppose they're all on youtube now. I've just looked now though and I can't find the clip from the evening Van Morrison, Sinead O'Connor and the Chieftains did Have I Told You Lately. I'm guessing it must have been around St. Patricks Day 1995. Anyway, it was a terrific performance. Van spent the whole time trying to make Sinead laugh and he ended the song by marching over to her microphone and knocking it over. As the Chieftains finished up, Van and Sinead collapsed like a couple of naughty schoolchildren. It's probaly the last recorded clip of Van MOrrison having a good time!

No comments: