Tuesday, August 21, 2007

A nagging injury..


Well, it seems I rushed back too soon from my ligament injury. I started running again last Tuesday and although I took it easy last week, I opened it up a little more at the weekend. It felt great at the time - a little sluggish but no reaction in the knee and I was getting optimistic about the marathon in October. Unfortunately by Sunday night a little knee-knack and stiffness had set in and it was clear that all wasn't right. I went back to what was supposed to be my last physio appointment this evening and Fionnula isolated the problem and worked on it for about 30 minutes or so. She didn't seem too worried by the latest setback. I suppose she has the advantage of it not being her knee so why would she be worried? At one point she tried to console me by telling me that 'at least you got a week out of it'. I'm not sure she realised that I was hoping that I might have it for a bit longer than a week. I said nothing

The main reason I said nothing was that at the time she said it I was lying on my stomach and she was manipulating the back of my knee. I haven't felt pain like it for a long time and I was putting so much effort into not screaming that talking wasn't really an option. I think I was appropriately stoic.. I guess it's good that she found the problem and by the time she was done she told me it wasn't in bad shape at all. Yeah, maybe I'll get another couple of days out of it..

Anyway, she told me again that if I carry on doing the exercises properly and regularly (I don't think she believed me when I told her I have been) and don't run before I can walk - literally - I should be fine. I guess she sees this kind of thing all the time but I find it very frustrating. Either way It looks like Amsterdam is off. I'm going to hold off for as long as I can before I cancel but it's 8 weeks from this weekend and I'm way off schedule..

I'm surprisingly gutted. Still - there's always next year, right?

No comments: