Monday, August 20, 2007

The Lowe down

I found this clip on David Hepwroth's blog. It's 'Hope For Us All' from Nick Lowe's new record, At my Age. There's a stunning song on his last record, The Convincer, called 'Lately, I Let Things Slide". It'd be nice to think that this is the light at the end of that particular tunnel. He just gets better and better.

With most singers of his generation, it's often the case that you should start with their earliest records and as you work through chronologically, you find that the albums get longer while the insights get shorter. As Randy Newman sang in "I'm Dead But I Don't Know It": 'Each record that I make is like the record I just made. But not as good'. But with Nick Lowe the opposite is the case. If you like this and feel inclined, start with his new album, At My Age, and work backwards through The Convincer and The Impossible Bird. After that, you won't need any convincing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ok..