Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Clever men, clever words..

I've only discovered today that Stephan Fry has a blog. And what a fantastic discovery! I shouldn't be surprised. The following paragraph is from a long essay, or blessay as he calls it, about Fame. Why we crave it, what it means to be famous, what it means to not be famous and so on. And on. It's quite long but well worth a look. The section I'm pasting here is his response to frequently being asked 'What fame's like?'

"Is it fun? Or, as student journalists always ask, what’s it like? ‘What’s it like working with Natalie Portman, what’s it like doing QI, what’s it like being famous?’ I don’t know what it is like. What is being English like? What is wearing a hat like? What’s eating Thai red curry like? I don’t believe that I can answer any question formulated that way. So, student journalists, tyro profilers and rooky reporters out there, seriously, quite seriously never ask a ‘what’s it like’ question, it instantly reveals your crapness. I used to try getting surreal when asked the question and say things like ‘being famous is like wearing blue pyjamas at the opera. It’s like kissing Neil Young, but only on Wednesdays. It’s like a silver disc gummed to the ear of a wolverine. It’s like licking crumbs from the belly of a waitress called Eileen. It’s like lemon polenta cake but slightly wider. It’s like moonrise on the planet Posker.’ I mean honestly. What’s it like?? Stop it at once."

I also found this link yesterday on the Word website. It's a list of the 10 most incomprehensible Bob Dylan interviews of all time.. I've watched a few of them and, really, you don't need to waste your time, but I did laugh when I read his account on why he decided to become a star..

"Carelessness. I lost my one true love. I started drinking. The first thing I know, I'm in a card game. Then I'm in a crap game. I wake up in a pool hall. Then this big Mexican lady drags me off the table, takes me to Philadelphia. She leaves me alone in her house, and it burns down. I wind up in Phoenix. I get a job as a Chinaman. I start working in a dime store, and move in with a 13-year-old girl. Then this big Mexican lady from Philadelphia comes in and burns the house down. I go down to Dallas. I get a job as a "before" in a Charles Atlas "before and after" ad. I move in with a delivery boy who can cook fantastic chili and hot dogs. Then this 13-year-old girl from Phoenix comes and burns the house down. The delivery boy — he ain't so mild: He gives her the knife, and the next thing I know I'm in Omaha. It's so cold there, by this time I'm robbing my own bicycles and frying my own fish. I stumble onto some luck and get a job as a carburetor out at the hot-rod races every Thursday night. I move in with a high school teacher who also does a little plumbing on the side, who ain't much to look at, but who's built a special kind of refrigerator that can turn newspaper into lettuce. Everything's going good until that delivery boy shows up and tries to knife me. Needless to say, he burned the house down, and I hit the road. The first guy that picked me up asked me if I wanted to be a star. What could I say?"

That's it - I'm done! Take away my keyboard!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, you just found that now, did you? ;)

He's an infamous techno-fiend and mac addict so he's probably been blogging since the Crimean War.

I luff him.

John Connolly said...

I've been busy!

Anyway, if it's a techno-fiend and mac addict you're after, why would you go anywhere else but here?!

Anonymous said...

Maybe I've a thing for gay manic depressives.







Wait...

John Connolly said...

Ah. So close and yet..

Clair said...

I prefer Michael Gambon's story of why he took up acting, explaining that he used to be a ballet dancer but fell into the orchestra, where he bounced off a kettledrum.