Monday, October 8, 2007

There's beauty everywhere..

I was in a taxi the other heading into town. I don't normally take taxis during the day as it always seems a bit of a shame not to get the exercise instead but we were running late and I had no way to contact the person I was meeting.. So we jumped into the first cab i saw and told the smelly old man driving the smelly old car where we needed to go.

On we went and since we were chatting in the back, we weren't paying much attention to the driver other than to note that he was listening to some sort of power ballads compilation album. You know the sort - Winds of Change, Total Eclipse of the Heart, that sort of thing. Anyway, Jennifer Rush's The Power of Love came on and after we stopped talking for a moment I realised he was singing along. But instead of belting it out like La Rush did, he was singing very slowly and deliberately under his breath. Try imagining the broad Dublin accent of Ronnie Drew mixed with the whispery, economy of Leonard Cohen's delivery. And then drop it several octaves.

When he worked up to the bit about 'The sound of your heart beating, made it clear suddenly. The feeling that I can't go on is light-years away' I was almost in floods! I said almost.. Funny how on the right day, in the right weather (it was a lovely sunny Saturday) you can find beauty in the strangest places..

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Missed this post first time round.
It's the best one.