Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Going Dutch

We went down the road last night to Chateau les Merles for dinner. Actually, we went the long way through a forest, taking a couple of wrong turns along the way before coming out on the road we'd been looking for.

Anyway, I'd heard a lot about les merles over the last year or so and it really is a fantastic place. Great food, lovely staff and we could sit out in the courtyard and enjoy the evening sunshine as we ate. Cause de Clerans, where we're staying, is a small village of about 20 or so houses and one very cool castle. It's got a bit of a Dutch contingent and it was only as we sat having dinner yesterday that I realised Holland were playing in Euro 2008. As kick-off approached the (mostly Dutch) staff and owner were all caught up in the excitement. After our meal we went into the clubhouse (les Merles has a golf club too) to watch the game. It was fantastic. A bunch of international hotel guests and diners gathered in a tiny room with a handful of diehard Holland fans. And one unfortunate Italian.. As the game progressed and Holland took control, the atmosphere in the room was terrific. The hotel gave us free drinks and there was lots of banter amongst the happy viewers. I'm a little reluctant to over-romanticise it all but I'm in France, the sun is shining, the food is great and things couldn't be much better. If I can't over-romanticise now, when can I?

And Holland beat Italy. I've always had a soft spot for the Dutch so they'll be my team during the tournament. In fact, I've just been to paddy power's website and thrown a few quid on them so let's see how we go. Watching the game last night I was reminded how much I love these tournaments. We don't have a tv in the house here so that's the only game I've seen this year but when we get back to Dublin, I'm looking forward to the rest of the competition. Let's just hope that holland aren't home before we are!

No comments: