Thursday, June 12, 2008

It gets worse..

So gardai are mounting a 6-day blitz on learner drivers who don't display L-plates and drive unaccompanied on the road in an attempt to cut down the number of road deaths. That's great. Which leads me to ask 2 questions:

1. How on earth are they going to do that? I mean, if the male driver of a car doesn't have an L-plate and is driving alone, how are the police going to distinguish him from me? Are they really going to stop every lone driver who looks under that age of 30, something which, despite my advancing years, I manage to do.. Or are they going to just stop the ones who look a bit dodgy.. I'm not sure that's allowed anymore, is it?

2. Why is it only lasting 6 days? 2 of which are a weekend? After next Friday, can all learner drivers go back to breaking the law and not worry about being stopped?

Seriously, after that nonsense earlier in the week about pardoning drink drivers who are just a little bit over the limit, you have to wonder who's coming up with this nonsense..

The learner driver situation in Ireland is out of control and has been for a long time but announcing a 6 day plan to crackdown on drivers isn't the best place to start is it? The crackdown should be permanent and the penaltys significant.

Now, back to my cheseboard..

No comments: