Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Uil like this one..


This is Uil. Uil is a baby owl who fell from his nest. He was discovred by a friend of Helen's family in Cause de Clerans, the village we stayed in while we were France.

Anyway, he's about the size of a cigarette box at the moment but he's eating and growing and seems happy to sit on Yaris' lap while he feeds him. I'm a city boy - I don't understand how th animal kingdom works but I find it mind-blowing to see a tiny owl being hand-fed by another creature several hundred times bigger than him. You wouldn't catch me doing it! I'm used to things being smaller than me..

It looks like Yaris is going to be allowed to keep him too so I guess if I'm lucky I'll get to see how he's doing the next time I get back over there. Nature eh? Mad stuff!

Now is it my imagination or does Uil bear a resemblance to former Taoiseach Bertie Ahern. I think it's uncanny..


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My mate Alan (remember him) has performed the 'forward slash' since he was about 15. It's a marvel to see. Strictly reserved for night-time walks home along the river back home. Although I did once witness him doing it across 'The Stray' in Harrogate, which is really quite a large open space in the middle of the town. Astonishing stuff, well executed. And you're right about that owl.