Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Who'll Stop The Rain?

Another horrible, rainy night in Dublin. More flooding, more delays and more opportunities for met eireann to tell us that it's going to get worse before it gets worse. I swear they're loving it..

Anyway, I just read an article on the irish times website about the weather conditions and I was taken by this particular sentence:

"The rain will ease on Thursday and Friday before returning with a vengeance at the weekend."

A vengeance? For what? Seems a little harsh, doesn't it? Have we disrespected the rain? Could we have insulted it somehow? Maybe it doesn't like to see people in flooded areas getting around in canoes and those feelgood pictures you always see in papers of men carrying kids around on their shoulders with their trousers rolled up. Maybe we just didn't take last weeks floods as seriously as we should have. Clearly, cancelling the Tullamore show in Offaly wasn't enough. Now the rain is fighting back. It's coming back with sticks and baseball bats and this time it means business.

I don't know much about the Bible but I watched enough West Wing to remember “‘Vengeance is mine’ saith the Lord” They never mentioned the weather though. Perhaps it's God's will. Perhaps the Irish Times just got a bit carried away. Either way I'm not leaving the house this weekend.. After everything I said about not being made of sugar when I went outside during last weekend's downpour I'm taking no chances!

No comments: