Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Simple Twist of Cate


This is the first clip from the new Dylan biopic, I'm Not There. As far as I can tell, it features several different actors portraying Bob at different times in his life. This clip, obviously, is mid 60s period Bob. I think the guy in the car with him is meant to be Lennon. At least I think some of the dialogue is from that awful clip of Bob and Lennon in the limo from Eat the Document. Look it up yourself - it's mortifying. Two of the greatest artists and supposed spokesmen for their generation and they can barely string a sentence together. Actually - here it is. I think Lennon might come out of it a little bit better than Bob.

I don't really know much more about the film. It's written and directed by Todd Haynes, the guy who made Velvet Goldmine, that terrible film about an adrogynous, cross dressing, drug addicted 70s rock star that bore no resemblance to David Bowie whatsoever. At all. No sir. But then he also made Far From Heaven more recently so he's not all bad.. And Richard Gere is going to be one of the Bobs! How bad can it be? Plus the poster is great.


And finally I can't really put up a Bob clip without including this:

No comments: