Sunday, September 30, 2007

Home Thoughts from Cabra



Clair over at theurbanwoo pointed me in the direction of this last week and it's set me off.. We used to have Home Thoughts at home when I was a nipper. My sisters are responsibe for most of the music I loved as a kid and, as a result, a lot of the music I love as an adult. I don't remember us having many records at home but the ones we did have are stuck in my head forever. Even though I haven't listened to them for years, I still know them all inside and out.. That's albums like Chris De Burgh's Spanish Train, Meat Loaf's Bat out of Hell, Dan Fogelberg's The Innocence Age and others. There was a live Glen Campbell record that got a lot of airtime too. I remember a guy called Bertie Higgins who had a song called Key Largo. It used a lot of ropey Bogart and Bacall imagery. Cheesey as the cheese counter in Sheridans but I loved it then and I'm sure if I heard it now I'd still love it! Actually I feel like I've just my sisters a bitof a disservice. It wasn't all MOR rubbish when I was a kid. Thanks to them I was also turned on, at an early age to David Bowie, Simon & Garfunkel, Elvis, Springsteen and lots of other stuff. So, thanks..

I've been watching a lot of those old clips tonight and most of them don't really hold up anymore but Home Thoughts From Abroad is a different beast altogether. Go on - ignore his awkwardness, his anti-stage presence and give it 3 minutes of your time.. It's beautiful.

Oh - I just found Key Largo on youtube. It's absolutely wretched. I'm sure it's not the version I remember from 25 years ago but I can't bring myself to link it. You'll judge me!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Prior to the girls inflicting (as it were at the time) their musical choices on us, there was dad's eclectic mix on the old orange turntable. Not sure how much you remember of that - and it may actually be that I have finally unearthed a childhood memory that you don't share.

Must try to find out what ever happened to Sinatra's Christmas album, The Dubliners' 15th anniversary of Finnegan's Wake (including 7 drunken nights, although not sure if it was censored or not), singles by the likes of John McNally, Alvin Stardust, Olivia Newton John, Mike Reid (awrigh' Peggy!), Dean Martin and versions of Somewhere Over the Rainbow - don't think it was Judy Garland - and my favourite at the time, King of the Road. Then there was the old 78s - weighed a ton and shattered if you as much as blinked at them.

And let's not forget about the Self Aid album.....

Clair said...

'Anti-stage presence' - lovely, and true! That's the first time I've ever seen him perform, and his awkwardness is actually very appealling, and very English!