Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Show some respect


I used to buy Empire magazine every month but i gave up a few years ago and haven't really missed it. I can't remember why I stopped buying it - around the same time I stopped getting Q too but that was becasue I just didn't care about the bands they were featuring. At some point I got too old for Q and remain waaay too young for Mojo.

Either way, every now and than I pick up a copy of Empire to see what I've been missing. This evening at the supermarket i was flicking through the latest issue (Will Smith on the cover) and in the news section, under the heading: Fall of the Legends (see what they did there?), was a 3 paragraph item about the deaths of Ingmar Bergman and Michelangelo Antonio in July. Actually, there was a subheading before the copy: RIP Bergo and Mickey. Now I can't claim to be the biggest fan of either of them but don't you think their achievements warrant a bit more than 3 paragraphs and a heading that makes them sound like cartoon characters?

In Empire's defence, they refer you to their website to read a full obituary. I've just been there - aparently Bergman is 'an artist of rare vision and fortitude, his place among cinema's greats is lastingly assured.' Meanwhile, Antonio's 'work often polarised critics but was impossible to ignore or forget. Sure - just don't expect 'The World's Biggest Movie Magazine' to waste much ink or paper on them. Not while they've got an interview with the fat kid from Superbad to publish.

Good work, lads.

No comments: