Sunday, April 6, 2008

The Price of Victory

So we rushed down to the bookies yesterday at about 4.10 yesterday to chuck some money at the Grand National.. We picked 3 nags at random, hotfooted it back to The Shelbourne where there was a big screen showing the race. One of our random choices, Comply Or Die came home first (I believe the technical term is romped). Anyway there's something funny that happens when I win a few quid on the horses. The money won is used to pay for about 7 different things - even if it only covers the cost of one. So far the windfall has supposedly paid for:
1. A couple of rounds of drinks in the Shelbourne (that pretty much took care of the jackpot right there).
2. Another round of drinks in the bar of Jurys in Ballsbridge.
3. Breakfast this morning in the Woodstock Cafe in Phibsborough.

It's Sunday lunchtime and we're heading in to town soon. I have my eye on some new phones fr the huouse. I imagine by tonight the money will be spent 3 or 4 times over..

Thank God I'm not a serious gambler - I don't think I could afford to win very often!

No comments: